Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Are You Happy, Rosie?

Omkar N Koul

When Barack Obama took an oath as the 44th President of the United States of America, I immediately remembered Rosie, who I met first time at the University of Illinois canteen sometime during 1969. I joined her table with a cup of tea in my hand. She was a cute black African girl in her early twenties, slim, tall with big eyes. She asked me,

“Are you from India?”
‘Yes, I’m. How did you know?”
“Well, it is easy to say by complexion and features.”
“ I could be a Pakistani or an Afghan too!”
“But you are not.” She smiled.

I introduced myself and told her that I have recently come from India. She told me that she was going to complete her master’s degree by the end of that semester.
When she asked about my initial experience in the US, I told her frankly, it is amazing not to find women placed at top positions over here. Wherever I go, I find the officers are men, and the women are either secretaries or typists. She immediately agreed and added that it is worst for black people, both men and women, to find suitable jobs. After chatting with her for a while, I told her smilingly, I would like you to become the president of the USA. We have Indira Gandhi as the prime minister in India, why can’t you be the president of the USA one day. She had a hearty laugh showing her beautiful white teeth.
On leaving the canteen, when both of us where is an elevator, looking at my face, she said,

“Do you know something Omkar? You have piercing eyes.”
Patting her back softly, I replied instantly,
“It is the reflection of your eyes.”

Both of us laughed. Before parting, we decided to meet again. We met several times later. She invited me for dinner to her place one evening. She was a very lovely and affectionate person with very good sense of humor. While cooking dinner, she put on pop music on her stereo. She started shaking her legs and invited me to join her in dance. I told her I don't dance. She taught me a few initial steps. It was an enjoyable evening. Later over meals we talked about her plans after obtaining her degree. She wanted to teach in a school. We met occasionally before she finally returned to Chicago, her home town, after completing her master’s degree.
I have very sweet memories of her. I don’t know where she is and what she is doing?
I remembered Rosie during my last visit to the Brown University, Providence, in 2007, when I saw a black woman as the president of that university.
Now today when Barack Obama took an oath at an impressive ceremony in the presence of a large gathering, I was trying to locate Rosie among them on my TV screen. I just want to ask her,

“Are your happy Rosie?”

No comments:

Post a Comment